Saturday, August 27, 2022

Beauty and the Piano

 For the first time in 2-1/2 years, I was able to take Lizzie to the piano room!

So much has changed in Lizzie's world since the beginning of the pandemic and I wasn't sure how she would react. We'd taken Lizzie on several walks during safe times, so she'd left her unit with us and had been on the elevator.

I was thrilled to see the piano room was empty when we arrived. I was able to wheel Lizzie right up to the piano so she could sit beside me.

She hadn't said a word since we'd left the unit. This isn't unusual as Lizzie has become a lot less verbal over the past couple of years.

When I asked her if she would like to hear me play a song, she nodded and smiled. A huge smile. She remembered!

Image by Ri Butov from Pixabay 

I always play the same song to begin (Send In The Clowns). It's the one I know the best and it's always been one of Lizzie's favourites. She tapped her hands in time to the song and was still smiling when I finished.

I played for maybe 20 minutes and Lizzie grinned the entire time. When I played Beauty and the Beast, she even got misty-eyed.

Her eyes were drooping (nap time!) when we left, but she kept humming the tune for Beauty and the Beast as we headed back to her unit. And she remembered the title to tell the staff members when we returned.

It's so nice to have a piece of normal back!

How about you? Any pieces of normal coming back in your world?

1 comment:

Jemi Fraser said...

Welcome, Karen. I hope you find something that helps in your situation