Caregivers need to take care of themselves. It's a cliche for a reason, but you can't get water from a dry well.
Keeping ourselves in good shape emotionally and physically can be a challenge.
Today, let's talk about how to do some easy at-home self-care by being silly.
Here are a few things you can search for online that might get you and maybe even your Loved One in a silly mood.
- baby goat videos
- goat sings Whitney Houston (trust me on this one!)
- jokes for kids
- knock knock jokes - if your Loved One is still able to read, have them do the reading while you do the answer part, they'll enjoy it more
- silly jokes about summer (winter, Christmas, birthdays, Halloween, sports, food...)
- blooper reels for your favourite TV shows or movies
- kids laughing
- sports gone wrong
- silly animals
- have a dance party to music from all different generations and styles (Lizzie is in a wheelchair but she still loves to dance!)
- talk about memories of silly times
- sing songs from childhood (Row your boat, Doh a Deer, Itsy Bitsy...) and make up the words if you can't remember them
- draw silly pictures (combine an alligator & mouse into a new animal, draw a squiggle & turn it into a picture)
- write a silly story and add in drawings (Once upon a time there was a raccoon who wanted to meet Lizzie for tea...)
- tongue twisters (red leather, yellow leather always gets me!)
- limericks (There is a young lady named Lizze, who keeps her daughter in a tizzy, they love to sing songs, the shorts & the longs, and Lizzie keeps everyone busy!). Obviously they don't have to be perfect!
Check out the book Dancing With Dementia for more easy self-care tips.
How about you? Any more ideas about silly things to search for? Any other ways to get a good belly laugh?